What are Varicose Veins?
A very common condition, especially in women, it is estimated that around 30-40% of pregnant women and about 50% of people over the age of 40 will develop varicose veins during their lifetime. In most cases, varicose veins appear on the lower legs and on the feet. This phenomenon is due to upright standing and walking that increases the pressure in the veins of the lower body. The veins become enlarged, swollen, and raised, and get a purple or red color.
For many people, varicose veins are simply a cosmetic issue. However, for others, they are the source of great discomfort and aching pain. Sometimes, they can even lead to more serious concerns.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
The most common signs of varicose veins include:
Painful symptoms include:
Causes of Varicose Veins
To put it in layman’s words, varicose veins appear when the small valves inside the veins stop working properly. A healthy vein is when the blood flows to the heart with the help of these valves that open and close to let the blood through. In the case of varicose veins, the blood can flow backwards instead of upwards and collect in the vein, causing the complication. There are certain things that influence the development of varicose veins, including:
- Pregnancy: pregnant women have an enlarged volume of blood in their body. Moreover, pregnancy can decrease the flow of blood from your legs to your pelvis. This occurrence is designed to support the growing fetus, but it can produce an unfortunate side effect. The complications may arise or may worsen during late pregnancy when the uterus exerts greater pressure on the veins in the legs. Another factor in the appearance of varicose veins are the changes in hormones during pregnancy.
- Obesity: being overweight is added pressure on the veins.
- Standing or sitting for extended periods of time: standing or sitting for a long time prevents the blood from flowing well.
- Age: being older, the veins may lose their elasticity and consequently stretch. Furthermore, the valves in the heart may also become weak.
- Family history: there is a greater chance of developing the condition if other family members had varicose veins.
Prevention and Treatment
There are a few ways to stop varicose veins from worsening and to ease the symptoms of existing varicose veins, such as:
- Wearing Graduated Compression Stockings as often as you can;
- Taking regular breaks and resting throughout the day. It is suggested to raise the legs on pillows to ease discomfort;
- Exercising regularly;
- Avoiding standing or sitting for long periods of time;
- Healthy diet (low-salt diet and rich in fiber); Avoiding high heels;
How Graduated Compression Hosiery Work and How They Help
Compression hosiery is a special type of elastic hosiery that supports healthy blood circulation and helps prevent a wide range of conditions. It squeezes your legs, helping veins move blood more efficiently and reducing discomfort and swelling. These products come in different colors, pressures (from light pressure to strong pressure), and in lengths (from knee-high to the top of the thigh).
The hosiery is recommended for people who:
Elegant, comfortable, and sheer, Gabrialla’s Compression Hosiery offer the support you need to cope with the physical pressures of an active lifestyle. These products mean effective compression therapy and unparalleled quality. It is a superior brand that meets the therapy and aesthetic needs of the consumers battling with varicose veins. Designed with the patient in mind, they are the cornerstone in the therapy of varicose veins.
Gabrialla’s Compression Hosiery provide large improvements in pain, mobility, and quality of life. They will reduce aching and swelling in your feet and lower legs, and will help prevent the onset of varicose veins. If you are already battling with varicose veins, you can combine the hosiery with skin care and wound management to alleviate pain and discomfort.
An investment in your long-term health, Gabrialla’s Compression Hosiery are available in a myriad of subtle colors, fine styles, and compression levels. They are made from the latest and highest quality materials and will last longer than conventional hosiery. Ideal during and after pregnancy and for people with cellulite problems, they are perfect for women who spend a lot of time on their feet, sit without movement or lift and carry heavy loads. Designed for leisure, business, or evening wear, Gabrialla’s Compression Hosiery offers versatile options for every taste.